TRD Performance: FJ Cruiser Gets Supercharged

Stock Specs (as advertised @ crank):
239 hp
278 ft-lbs torque

Tags: blower, centrifugal, rotrex, supercharger, toyota racing development, trd, turbocharger, underdog racing development, urd

TRD Performance: FJ Cruiser Gets Supercharged

24 Responses

1. Great article! By far the best one I found on the web. Do you know your 0-60 time?

Vin November 19, 2010 at 9:52 pm #
  2. Thanks Vin. You’ll probably be disappointed to discover that I actually don’t know my 0-60 times. The TRD supercharger provides quite a bit more pep when accelerating, there’s no doubt. And I definitely have had some fun with it. But my primary intention was to combat the sluggishness that resulted from adding 800+ pounds of gear to the equation. And for that, the supercharger has performed just as expected. I would say that if you’re looking purely for speed in an FJ, go with the URD model. Last I heard, they were getting ready to release their new Stage II setup. Check out the following thread for more details:

Expeditionr November 19, 2010 at 10:32 pm #
  3. Hi,
    When you put the supercharger on the Fj did it change the gas milage?

Dru December 3, 2010 at 10:31 pm #
  4. Hi Dru,

Yes, the mileage did decrease somewhat (1-2mpg) after the supercharger was installed. However, this was primarily the result of my “lead foot”, not necessarily a side affect of the supercharger installation itself. The extra power adds a nice bit of boost and it’s hard not to make use of it once it’s available. Plus, to be honest, mods like skid plates, suspension lifts, larger tires and wheels will drastically reduce fuel efficiency. I actually spent the first 3 1/2 years tracking gas receipts before I finally just gave up on my mileage. For me, the added benefits of the mods will always outweigh the added cost of fuel. It all comes down to what’s important to you.

Expeditionr December 3, 2010 at 11:00 pm #
  5. I have recently installed a TRD SuperCharger myself. I also have a TRD CAI and catback.. Although doing so wouldn’t have changed my mind but I really wished I could fine your article waay ago… Great build up you’ve got right there.. I think I will switch my oil filter too and see if I get a noticable sound.. I really like to hear the growl of my FJ and that’s the only reason the next mod in line is a set of headers!

Ahmed Fikri December 13, 2010 at 11:18 pm #
  6. why does my trd cai look different
    my fj is 07
    the dealer said theyd do the reflash with it on or for mapping reasons does the reflash have to be done with the stock cai

mitch October 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm #
  7. Hey Mitch,

Thanks for visiting the site. With regards to your question, the supercharger is designed to work with either air intake. Unless they’ve changed something recently, the flash update is pre-programmed and is based on your stock air intake but will work fine with a TRD CAI as well. The TRD CAI will add a throatier sound to your FJ as well as allow your engine to breathe a bit more easily, so it’s a good upgrade in my opinion. As far as looking different goes, it could be a couple of things. There was a slightly modified version of the TRD CAI for the 2010 models and above. The other possibility is that you actually received an AFE branded CAI which looks very similar to mine except it has the AFE logo on the aluminum plate instead of the TRD.

Expeditionr October 27, 2011 at 2:40 pm #
  8. Great piece, thank you for taking the time! I’ve added several mods (ARB bull-bar front, Kaymar rear bumper, All-Pro sliders, full skid plates, Gobi Stealth roof rack, all of which are sprayed with Line X) and typically travel with a roof-top tent, so my FJ is also one heavy-rollin’ rig. I’m very seriously considering the TRD SC, and my primary concern/hope is that it will allow the truck to cruise easier at (legal) highway speeds. As is, if there’s even a bit of wind, the poor thing shifts A LOT in order to maintain speed. Do you think the torque gained with the TRD will lessen (better yet, eliminate!) this? Also, should I get my hopes up that’ll it’ll see even a small increase in highway MPG? Thanks!

ND08FJ December 14, 2011 at 11:37 am #
  9. ND08FJ,

From what you describe for mods, I suspect that the TRD supercharger (SC) will be a very nice addition. One of the main reasons I chose the SC path was due to the additional weight and increasing sluggishness after modding. From my limited understanding of the install process, the reflash that is applied after the SC installation will adjust your engine timing and transmission shift points to operate optimally with your new setup. I did notice a significant difference in power and responsiveness and pulling a trailer is much easier now than before the SC install. The other option you might consider is having your FJ re-geared. A lot of guys that tow replace the stock gears with a 4.56 or 4.88 ratio setup which helps a lot with the constant down shifting that occurs with the stock 3.73. As far as mileage improvement goes, I wouldn’t get my hopes up, but a lot of it depends on how you drive. Thanks for the comment and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Expeditionr December 15, 2011 at 4:21 am #
  10. hi,do you think can i instll trd superchager in my fj cruiser?
    my fj is 2011 and it has 260hp.

fazinr December 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm #
  11. Hi there Fazinr,

I’ve heard different answers to your question but I think a lot of it boils down to your previous mechanical experience and/or a willingness to learn something new. From what I’ve been told, the Roots style superchargers are simple enough in their design that anyone SHOULD be able to do the install themselves with the proper tools. But I don’t think I’d go so far as to say the installation is simple. Even with a step by step list of procedures I suspect this install would have taken me a minimum of 3 or 4 days to complete (probably even longer). But I have zero experience with this type of thing. The Toyota dealerships estimated anywhere from 7-10 hours for installation by a certified, knowledgeable mechanic. I opted to have Toyota do the install to ensure I maintained my warranty and to avoid damaging or destroying my motor. But for those folks with more mechanical expertise, you may be able to save yourself a cool grand by doing the install yourself. Lastly, and not to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but you might want to check on parts availability. Last I heard, TRD had still not produced a supercharger kit that was compatible with the 2010 and later model FJ Cruisers. Rumor had it that one was expected to be released some time in 2012 but I don’t have anything more concrete to go on at the moment. The demand has to be pretty high though so I suspect it’s only a matter of time before you see the parts available. If you do find the parts and opt to the do the install yourself, be sure and post back and let us know how it went. And thanks for your comment!

Expeditionr December 19, 2011 at 8:12 pm #
  12. Any idea when TRD SC will be available for 2010 FJ?

eyeguy February 21, 2012 at 1:40 pm #
  13. Eyeguy,

To date, I have still not heard confirmation from Toyota reps on a release date. The last I heard was it was to be available sometime in 2012 but I haven’t seen any follow up on that to know if it’s accurate or not. My suggestion to those who are eager to upgrade to a supercharger is to either purchase a 2009 or earlier model FJ or give URD a call and see what kind of options they can supply. Best of luck either way.

Expeditionr February 25, 2012 at 11:59 am #
  14. So, my FJ goes to the local dealer next week for the SC install. Prior to making the leap, I got on the phone with a TRD product specialist to find out why they specifically list the CAI as being incompatible with the SC (and using them together WILL supposedly void the SC’s warranty). The guy was courteous and willing to help, but could only tell me that the SC was designed for use with the standard air box. The hint was it’s an emissions issue, as in it may not be compliant with California standards. So, have you had any issues relating to the use of the SC with the TRD CAI? Thanks a ton!

ND08FJ April 12, 2012 at 4:00 pm #
  15. ND08FJ,

Good to see you back and it sounds like you’re about to get a very nice addition to your FJ. Congrats! As far as the CAI is concerned, I’ve had absolutely zero issues with this setup and I’ve been running the CAI in combination with the TRD supercharger for close to three years and more than 60k miles. While I can’t speak to the Toyota warranty issue, I’ve never had any difficulties getting work done at my local dealership. Congratulations again and have fun with your new toy!

Expeditionr April 12, 2012 at 4:19 pm #
  16. Wow, thank you! I absolutely hate forums because of the useless, mindless chatter. But I suffer that sifting through that stuff in hopes of finding sites and threads like yours. Super valuable.
    No questions for you…. just saying thanks and I’ll be scouring the rest of your site now.

PJTortoise October 2, 2012 at 1:17 pm #
  17. PJTortoise,

Thanks for the complimentary feedback! I hope you find the site useful and please feel free to post up any questions you might have. I’m more than happy to assist where I can. Thanks for visiting!

Expeditionr October 3, 2012 at 6:12 pm #
  18. Awesome job on the website! Even though I have a 2013 FJ I plan on purchasing a SC the first day they are released. My only concern is reliability. I know Toyota is great with SCs on cars, like for example the 1st gen MR2s great car, but not so sure about newer vehicles. Since you have had yours on for a good amount of time I figured I would ask how is the reliability going so far? Also what how many miles are on your rig and at what mile was the SC added. Thanks

Terrill November 28, 2012 at 12:23 pm #
  19. Terrill,

The TRD supercharger is still one of my favorite modifications to date. It was installed around 30K miles if I recall and the FJ now has around 96K on the odometer. Absolutely no issues whatsoever. I’m still very happy with this setup. Thanks for the comment!

Expeditionr November 28, 2012 at 6:30 pm #
  20. I was thinking of doing the very same thing to my fj and am curious as to what it does to the gas milage?

matt January 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm #
  21. Matt,

If you drive with a light foot, you may or may not notice a significant difference. However, once the supercharger is installed, most people want to take advantage of the added power and that heavy foot will typically result in a 1-2 MPG reduction. A lot of it comes down to how you drive. For my requirements, the supercharger has been hugely beneficial and given a choice to do it over again, I definitely would.

Expeditionr January 2, 2013 at 3:47 pm #
  22. Hi, great site! Like others, i am waiting for a SC for the 13 model. My question though, is where did you get the sweet TRD rocker covers?

Randy May 11, 2014 at 7:08 am #
Trackbacks/Pingbacks
  1. 5.7L FJ Cruiser - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum - August 30, 2011

[...] depth minimalization. As far as replying to Old Cruiser: This link will prove these numbers: TRD Performance: FJ Cruiser Gets Supercharged | Expeditionr In summation this author stated that his FJ with a TRD Supercharger provided these numbers: Stock [...]

2. engine and such - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum - January 2, 2013

[...] independent review back in 2010 on my experiences with the TRD supercharger if you're interested. TRD Performance: FJ Cruiser Gets Supercharged Cheers, Jeff __________________ Expeditionr on Facebook – Expeditionr on Twitter – [...]